Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sooyeon's story pitch.

U.N. BUILDING (Kim)

The story is mainly about a profile of the UN renovation process, a $1.88 billion rehabilitation project, called "Capital Master plan."
Also, along with the profile, I want to find whether there were any security changes after 9/11 and what would be the main focus or advancement from the new renovation plan (Are there any lessons from the 9/11 )

According to UN report, they will focus the aspects on security, environmental and safety issues. They plan
to achieve a LEED Silver rating.
But there were not many known changes after 9/11. Even, the U.N. headquarter building has been known for not having any fire alarms and having a very old security system. (The U.N. had been flagged for 866 violations, and it was estimated that fewer than 20 percent had been taken care of so far, according to a report in The Washington Times.)

Last November, The New York City Fire Department gave the U.N. until January to comply with standards, and until March to finish. But it has been checked yet. So, I want to discover how much the process has been done as contacting the U.N, or the Fire Department.

I have tried to contact Mr Werner Schmidt, Public Information Officer and hopefully, I can have an interview him and ask him the questions I prepared.
(What would be the main advancement from the renovation? What do you think about the current safety situation in the U.N. headquarter building? Were there any security changes after 9/11?)

Also, to give some other perspective or objective opinions, I will interview someone, not working for U.N. but an expert of building safety or system that can give some opinions about the U.N. building.


No comments: